Wednesday 6 May 2015

Top 5 Favourite Anime

A few months ago I watched THIS video by one of my favourite YouTubers where she spoke about her top 5 favourite animes and it got me thinking: what are my top 5?

Over the past few years I've watched a good number of different anime series ranging from action to fantasy to 'slice of life' and choosing five of my favourites didn't come easy. After careful deliberation I managed to narrow it down to these five in no particular order.

1) Yuru Yuri

[Image courtesy of 'gentokyo']

It has become apparent in the past two years that my favourite genre of anime is 'slice of life.' I'm a sucker for anime with no set plot and a bunch of characters who just goof off. Yes, I'm talking about those anime that are usually set in a school, more specifically a club, where the main characters are usually all female. I've spoken about 'Yuru Yuri' before in a previous favourites post, but here's a quick lowdown on the series. The main protagonist, Akari Akaza finds herself joining the 'Amusement Club' which is a club where they pretty much bum around and do whatever they want.  My favourite character of the series would have to be Kyoko Toshino who has an obsession with Rum Raisin ice cream and a slightly obsessive crush on Chinatsu who resembles one of her favourite anime characters. I also think it's worth mentioning that in one episode she wears a tomato onesie. 

2) K-On!

[Image courtesy of  Wikipedia]

Sticking with the 'slice of life' genre, the first anime that I really fell in love with was 'K-ON!' Like 'Yuru Yuri,' the series is set in an after school club: the 'Light Music Club.' Yui Hirasawa signs up to the club with the inability to actually play an instrument and all she wants to do is pretty much slack off and eat cake and drink tea. The club is threatened to be disbanded so her fellow classmates convince her to stay and she begins to learn to play guitar. This series is ridiculously hilarious with my personal favourite scene being one were Yui has a dream that Tsmugi's eyebrows are actually in fact pickles. You can see that I have a rather strange sense of humour. If you've seen and loved the anime then there is also a movie in which the girls go to London that I highly recommend.

3) Attack On Titan

[Image courtesy of  'mangauk'

If you have even the slightest knowledge about the anime world then you will know doubt have heard of this series. Completely different from 'Yuru Yuri' and 'K-ON!,' 'Attack On Titan's' equivalent of the cherry blossom in most anime series is blood. I am not exaggerating when I say that this series isn't for the faint hearted. Set in a town that is surrounded by a high wall, civilisation has been wiped out by the Titans - huge, flesh-like creatures who show no mercy whatsoever. Only a small part of humanity have survived. After seeing his mother being devoured by one of them, Eren Jaeger vows to destroy the Titans and take his revenge. Excited isn't even the word for how I feel about the second series. The anime has proved so successful that there is also a live action movie set for release in Japan!

4) Clannad

[Image courtesy of  'dualshockers']

Not many films, TV shows, anime or books reduce me to literal tears. My eyes may glaze over a little, but no physical tears will fall. 'Clannad' is one of the few exceptions to this. This anime is known within the 'anime world' for being one of the saddest, and I can vouch for that. The story is based around a boy named Tomoya Okazaki who meets Nagisa, a quiet girl who has been held back a year in school due to a severe illness. The two become friends and Tomoya agrees in helping Nagisa achieve her goal of reviving the school's drama club alongside the help of four other girls. I'm not going to give too much away, but you'll definitely need a box of tissues at the ready by the end of the first series.

5) Fairy Tail

[Image courtesy of  'animetvn']

It wouldn't feel right if I didn't include this anime in my top 5. 'Fairy Tail' was the first anime that I ever started watching and I am still watching it to this day. Whenever I hear the 'Snow Fairy' intro song I can't help but feel a tad bit emotional. The series is about the wizard guild, Fairy Tail, where each member possesses a different type of magic. Their magic comes in handy when taking job requests in order to earn a living. The guild is known for being rowdy and for causing mayhem and it's usually down to the pink haired, fire eating Natsu. The series is currently ongoing and there are over a hundred episodes to date so if binge watching isn't your thing then you may want to give it a miss, but it's definitely worth the time.

Are you an anime fan, and if you are, what are your top 5? I'm always looking for more anime to add to my never ending 'to watch' list.

Until next time,
Elijah xo

Bloglovin' | Twitter | Instagram | Tumblr

No comments:

Post a Comment